View Single Post
Old December 4 2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Simon and Schuster cuts 35 jobs

Scott Pearson wrote: View Post
I wish some of the big websites would create virtual book shelves so you could look at spines and then with a click look at covers, something that would help an online browser capture the feel of quickly looking along the shelves of your favorite section.
The online retailer that can recreate the browsing experience is going to reap massive rewards. Not just because they're going to see their sales increase, but because they're going to have a product they can patent and sell to other online retailers.

The problem with online retailers today is that they're so directed. You search for what you want by using product names and keywords. But you miss out on so much that way. I can walk in a Barnes & Noble and wander at random from section to section, picking up books as the spirit moves me, sometimes based on the cover, sometimes based on just being random. But their website doesn't give me that. And giving me suggestions based on things I've bought in the past is useful, but it's not even in the same league.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote