View Single Post
Old December 2 2008, 08:46 AM   #229
Sci
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post

Actually, I'd think the last thing the Federation - Earth, in particular - would need, is for hundreds or even thousands of Borg-victimized races to come banging on their front door looking for revenge. (You think Andorians, for example, would be all that happy about learning that a fellow member of the Federation was indirectly responsible for what happened to them?) If it takes a few secrets to stop that from happening, I'd call it even.
I think the Andorians are mature enough as a society to know better than to blame an entire species, and a loyal ally and partner in the Federation, for the actions of a few isolated individuals in the distant past.
We all know what Andorians are like. They are warlike, impetuous, hotheaded, and militaristic.
Wow. Stereotype much?

They're also committed to sentient rights, the primacy of diplomacy over militarism, democracy, egalitarianism, and liberty, elsewise they wouldn't be part of the Federation.

Hell, on the Federation Council, the Tellarite Federation Councillor was much more aggressive than the Andorian one.

Look at Shran, for example. Just think of what somebody like him would do if he were alive today and found out that humans, however accidentally, played a large part in what was essentially the destruction of his homeworld.
Shran? You mean, the one who put aside his hatred of Vulcans to partner with them when he realized that doing so was in the interests of the greater good? The man who apologized for torturing a Vulcan and fought alongside them against the Romulans -- even after one Vulcan faction had attempted an invasion of his homeworld? That Shran?

I don't think he'd decide to start a Federation civil war and tear the UFP asunder, no.

And besides, Andor was not destroyed. We don't even know what the deathcount was -- we know it was significant, but we also know that it wasn't total.

To put it another way: Look at how people like Archer and Trip reacted when they found out about the Xindi attack on Earth.
As I recall, upon learning that the Xindi were being manipulated by the Sphere Builders, they put aside their anger and forged alliances with the Xindi factions that they realized were not mindlessly aggressive, eventually enlisting Xindi help to save their world and establish peace between their peoples.

And if you still need further convincing: Look at the lengths Section 31 went through to cover up the events in A Time To Kill/Heal. Do you think the Klingons should learn the truth about *that*?
Yes, actually. Or, rather, the Federation should have exposed Zife's criminal actions and then turned Zife, Azernal, and Quafina over to the Klingons for crimes against the Empire. It should be handled akin to how the Federation handled things in The Chimes At Midnight, the Myriad Universes tale in which

Since they didn't do that, when the Klingons find out what happened -- and they will find out unless Tezwa was one of the worlds the Borg wiped out; Section 31 and Starfleet did not do a very good job of covering their tracks, especially given as how a Trill journalist discovered almost the whole truth -- it's just gonna be worse, because then the Klingons will be pissed at the Feds for lying to them on top of it all.

Indeed, it might be much worse for the Klingons to find out about humanity's role in the creation of the Borg. I think it's fairly safe to say that more Klingons died at Borg hands than at Tezwa...and if Section 31 was as insistent on keeping the Klingons from finding out about some namby-pamby alien PM destroying a few Klingon ships, how do you think they would feel about letting the Klingons know about humanity being the origin of the Borg, who killed *millions* of Klingons? Somehow I doubt the Klingons would care that the Borg were an accident any more than the Andorians would, and probably a lot less. (We've all seen how little it takes to provoke a Klingon into fighting.)
Again, I think you're over-simplifying how these guys think. Amongst other things, it's important to keep in mind that the Klingons would also respect the fact that billions of Humans would have also been killed by the Borg, and that thousands of Humans also died defending the Klingon Empire from the Borg threat. And, of course, it was Humans and Caeliar who also defeated the Borg once and for all.