View Single Post
Old November 30 2008, 05:52 PM   #177
Pudding
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

What a rush! I don't think I've been that sucked into a Trek novel series since Mission Gamma. David, thanks for writing such a brilliant trilogy. Were I a faster reader I'd have done it all in one sitting, but when I wasn't sleeping or eating, I couldn't put it down.

A couple of thoughts -- now that we have a slipstream drive that's been proven stable in Starfleet's hands, how will this be followed up on in future novels? Will it remain a Vesta-class only technology for the time being, or will we start seeing other ships retrofitted as well? President Bacco did say that she planned to have the Luna-class missions continue, so are there any plans to extend even beyond that now that the technology is there (once the fleet is rebuilt and disaster cleanup is under control, of course)?

Speaking of the fleet being rebuilt, I don't remember Destiny quantifying exactly what the Starfleet toll was, with regard to ships and crew lost, though we did get to see a number of scenes where individual ships and crews made the ultimate sacrifice. What kind of scale are we talking about (compared to, say, Wolf 359 or The Dominion War), or was this intentionally left vague for a future book to address? Or did I just miss it?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote