View Single Post
Old November 24 2008, 07:28 PM   #144
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: So Cadet to Captain in what... a week?!

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Devon wrote: View Post
Captain X wrote: View Post
The line from Pike about making captain in 4 years was ludicrous enough as it was.
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the line "Be promoted in 4, have your own ship in 8 years?"
But it's insane. We know that in this flick, Kirk goes to the academy, and three years later is smuggled onto the Enterprise, still a cadet... and ends up IN COMMAND within a few days.
Imagine... 2LT Nixon, after a couple of days in the field, being miraculously promoted to take the position of "the old man" in "Band of Brothers."

That's what we're talking about in this movie. It's NONSENSE.
You seem to know a lot more about this movie's plot than everybody else, where are you getting this from? All we've seen is descriptions of 4 scenes, potentially not even in order, showing events from the film, and a number of 2 second or shorter clips almost certainly out of sequence. Anything else is supposition on your part.

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
We're fairly sure that this movie has TIME JUMPS in it, isn't it likely the movie will pick up years later?

Sharr
I thought that at one point, but I don't anymore. I only see evidence of a single "jump" from the time that Kirk and Co, under the command of Pike, leave Earth.

Maybe I'm wrong... but as far as I can see, there's no evidence anymore to support that.
There's a lot more evidence to support the concept of time jumps in the film than there is to support your 'cadet to captain in a few days' theory.

Edited to add an example: In all the scenes with black shirted Kirk and Spock hating/hitting him, Kirk has that injury under his eye - on the shot of him on the bridge in a captains shirt and giving Spock a friendly backslap, his hair is subtly different and his injuries are gone. Odds are that scene does not follow on in any quick succession from the 'black shirt' scenes.