Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade
Ok So I just wrapped up book three. I stated with book 1 over a week ago and I have to say, being on the road for this long the books were good companions. I found them all to be worthy travel companions. I liked how this book addressed the idea of where the borg came from and how they were eventually taken care of. In fact I think the events of this story, at least from what the borg were tyring to do, was long over due.
- Captain Bateson / Dr. Frasier Crane...the few lines were bloody hilarious and I so eaisly pictured Kelsey Grammer delivering those lines. It was one of those times where I caught my self laughing out loud to a book. Bravo for that alone.
- I would have liked a little more resolution to what was going on with Voyager. One minute its drifting dead in space, Chakotay is in ICU, and Tom Paris is effecting repair, but that's it. I would have assumed form reading the book that they would have been right there with the Titan, Enterprise, Aventine, and The Caeliar at the end, but it appeared to me that they were totally forgotten
- The ensemble casting was great IMO. I loved how the story seemed to touch on so many characters, if only for a sentence or two for some (see Bateson, Captain). Still there were others not mentioned that I missed, but oh well.
- Within the first few pages of book three (or was it within the final pages of book two) I had figured out that I was about to learn about the Borg origin. No points deduction from me. I chalk it up to my being super perceptive or the series was written with obvious fore shadowing because the conclusion would blow that away.
- Speaking of the conclusion, good twist on it. I thought that the Borg would be freed and given travel vouchers to get home with. Adding them to The Caeliar was a great move. I love the new mission of The Caeliar as well. To be honest I am glad that the borg are gone. Their presence and their abilities to me loomed around the neck of the ST universe like an albatross, placing massive constraints on the universe. I mean why didnt the borg just try to wipe everyone out sooner than this?
- Oh and since I have been lax in keeping up with published continuity...which book did Janeway get killed (and how) in and I thought Sisko came back some how...what ever happened with that
Thanks for the good read and for keeping me busy during my travels. Oh and I have a few days to burn while stuck in frigid Utah, anyone have any recommendations as to what to read?
THE orignal naked hedonistic glutton!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"
"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars