View Single Post
Old November 19 2008, 05:23 AM   #49
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: The Death of Superman: 16 Years Later

theenglish wrote: View Post
Trent, I am sorry but Superman was never designed as a Christ-figure.
Intentional design is not required. This is the mythic mantle the character has taken on. Unless one feels that wasn't a natural evolution for the character from the potential of his origins, Christ is clearly a progenitor.

And the truth is that these motifs, on an unconscious archetypal level, do extend much further than you are suggestion; limiting Superman to having a single religious/mythic inspiration as you are suggesting is simply a) incorrect and b)unfounded.
Limiting, I'm perfectly willing to accept. Characters that long-lived, particularly in comic books, acquire a multitude of resonances. But incorrect and unfounded? Come on - the Returns trailer couldn't have been more obvious in pointing to the parallel if Bryan Singer had stepped in front of the screen and screamed: "It's a Christian metaphor!"

posted by The Old Mixer
In fact, I thought it was pretty well-known that they deliberately evoked the story of Moses in his origin. The Christ/savior angle was mainly supplied by Donner many years later. The death and rebirth angle was introduced decades after his creation by different writers and artists...it says nothing about the intentions/inspirations of his original creators, Siegel and Shuster.
As I said before, I don't see intent as being required to tap into the cultural mythic reservoir that it did. If Superman wasn't a Christ-like character at birth, then the potential was clearly there in the character's construction; you don't see Batman ever becoming an archetype for Christ, do you? Of course, part of the problem here is how over-determining the Christ narrative has become, making it hard to escape either in genesis or in subsequent interpretations: after all, while one commonly hears "Moses prefigures Christ" being bandied about, rarely will you hear "Christ is a Moses-like figure".

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman