View Single Post
Old November 16 2008, 06:16 AM   #125
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

Quick note from a printing perspective; it may not be that the paragraphs are so long, but how they appear here on this forum. For instance, if you were reading this in a serif font, like Times New Roman (which was created for ease of readability) in a slightly wider format than available here on this forum, it might read much easier. There are really long paragraphs in there, admittedly, but part of it may just come down to the formatting, rather than the length, when it comes to ease of readability.
I know what you mean. My MS-Word manuscripts are Times New Roman and double-spaced (as per the Pocket rules). In my Janice Rand novel, I use longer paragraphs, but they're still easy on the eyes, for these reasons.

I have to disagree slightly with Rush here in that there are times in which you need longer paragraphs to "paint" the scene--read some of Poul Anderson's work for example, he paints a vivid picture of a truly alien world and culture on Diomedes in "The Man who Counts"--to an extent, I think scenery painting has become something of a lost art because we do tend to have rather shorter attention spans now--and I think we lose something because of the fact that our words are no longer painting a picture.
I'll give ya that, mate.

As I said, "character developement" scenes (such as inner-thought sequences) also can get away with longer paragraphs. Frankly, longer paragraphs imply a "slow" pace--that is, it's a sign for the audience to "take a breather" and relax as they enjoy the emotion of the scene.

Short paragraphs imply a fast pace--a sign for the audience to tense up and lean forward, sitting on the edge-of-your-seat, etc.

BTW...to answer Nerys's question, I'm up to Macet's conversation with the other rebel Gul.

Hey Nerys--I LOVE the little "touches" you give in the tale, bringing up Ronald Reagan...and the U.S.S. Petraeus! KUDOS!

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote