View Single Post
Old November 14 2008, 09:06 AM   #59
Ben Sisko3
Commodore

View Ben Sisko3's Twitter Profile
Re: Smallville 8x09 "Abyss" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
And I have a question thats not actually about the episode. What is the name of the condition that Chloe (Allison Mack) was born with. Its something that makes a babies eyes a little small in relation to their face. Im thinking its a very mild form of mongaloidism. It has none of the mental problems that go along with that and it really only affects the persons eyes and face a little. I want to say asburgers but Im not sure. You can see it pretty good in Procutus's avatar. And also when shee smiles and squints her eyes. Does anyone know what its called?
No, I don't.

As someone who has Asperger's, I can with great confidence say that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and humbly request you remove the reference to mongolidism in your post -- a word which, amongst many others, you spelled improperly. Do some research before you make a post of this nature. While it would most certainly be an ego boost to learn that Miss Mack is an ASpie, I don't think that's quite the case.

Asperger's syndrome is a unique form of high-functioning autism and is in no way a purely physical condition. It largely has involves poor social ability and percieved lack of empathy which are two things that, as an actress, Miss Mack can not afford to afflict her. I'm not saying that ASpies can't be actors; certainly I've known some wonderful ones (Additionally, such notables as Tom Hanks and Robin Williams are rumored to have Asperger's, and Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable have been retroactively "diagnosed" as having AS traits). However, for someone who started her career at such a young age, and while AS "treatment" was still being sussed out, I find it remarkably improbable that she is, so to speak, "one of us". It is also uncommon, but certainly not unheard of, in women, so the odds of Miss Mack having AS go down even further when this is taken into account.

A final note: John Schneider, the former Pa Kent, has a son with Asperger's syndrome and does a lot of work for autism research. I remember during the early seasons of the show my mother found an article about the Schneiders and shared it with me.
Ben Sisko3 is offline   Reply With Quote