View Single Post
Old November 11 2008, 11:28 AM   #316
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

Now that I am back, a few more comments:

Lightning Storm
I understand what you are saying. I don`t deny that looking at the letter of the law, Dr. Ree did nothing wrong. As soon as an order becomes controversial but is within this letter of the law, of course it becomes a matter of debate and as with the Vulcan mind meld issue, a clarification is necessary.

Christopher
All right, a 12 week old fetus then. Well, I was about 12 weeks pregnant when I had my first ultrasound. At that time I was still wondering if I was pregnant at all and expected to see maybe a lump of cells. I don`t care if the medical term is embryo or fetus. What I saw was a baby with a head, arms and legs. It was moving around. It was playing with its toes. I was amazed.

I am not digging through the book again in order to find the exact wording. Maybe strictly speaking Riker stopped Dr. Ree from making it an order, maybe he made it an order and retracted it, maybe he just threatened to make it an order. I am not getting worked up over nothing. The fact remains that Starfleet doctors have the legal right to force a woman to have an abortion.

This discussion is becoming too difficult for me emotionally and it seems continuing it is pointless anyway. This is probably the last posting about this matter for now.