View Single Post
Old November 11 2008, 12:01 AM   #253
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
^^ Great. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I'll also be interested to hear more about Halloweenland, given the spooky New England goings on.
Halloweenland was the one I finished on the 31st. It kind of, well, sucked. The New England-y one is Blood Red by James A. Moore. It's pretty good so far, with interesting characters who seem to be slowly making their way toward intersecting. It's a good read (though there's one plot point I'm not sure about), but there isn't much in the way of a Hallowe'en or New England feel to it, at least up to this point, which is strange, considering that both of those things show up in the description. Still, I'm looking forward to each chapter, and that's all I ask at this point.

In movie news, after all this time, Hammer Films has wrapped filming their first new release since 1976's To the Devil a Daughter. I just spotted this last night:

(Click for a larger pic.)

From the description:
Still grieving the death of nine-year-old Alice – their only child – at the jaws of a crazed dog, vet Patrick and pharmacist Louise relocate to the remote town of Wake Wood where they learn of a pagan ritual that will allow them three more days with Alice. The couple find the idea disturbing and exciting in equal measure, but once they agree terms with Arthur, the village’s leader, a far bigger question looms – what will they do when it’s time for Alice to go back?
After getting the snickers out over the title, I have to say that it sounds a whole lot better than what I was expecting out of this new incarnation of Hammer. The plot sounds like something the original studio would have made, and it doesn't sound as formulaic as a lot of modern horror.

Dare I hope?