View Single Post
Old November 7 2008, 09:22 PM   #11
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: Arc of the Wolf: On the Nature of Wind

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
What a cantankerous set of friends. But considering how badly Scotty needed friends, this is definitely a good thing.

It's interesting...I end up picturing settings, in your work, that aside from Starfleet Academy, aren't the sanitized, futuristic look we saw even shipboard on TOS. Your settings come to me very much with traditional architecture and decor inside--things that probably would've made the historical register in the 23rd century. In general, your population seems to have clung to its tradition much more than later series like TNG and DS9 would let on (where people seem so unfamiliar with common idioms it's unbelievable). Would you say that's a fair assessment of how you perceive the Trekiverse?
::nodnods!:: Believe it or not, that was intentional. In Belfast, where the Engineering Academy is, there are quite a few new and modern areas where cadets work, but those are often in newer parts of the city. The actual location for the Academy proper, as in classrooms and dorms, is where Queen's University currently is, a historic sector of Belfast even now and would doubtless be by then too. So, rather than forcing the surrounding history to adapt to them, the Engineers adapted to the surrounding history.

They're also very close to the traditional shipbuilding area of Belfast, on the Lough, and there are still shipbuilding operations even in the 23rd century -- there are still ocean-going cargo carriers, the dynacarries, that haul goods across the ocean. And, who knows? Harland and Wolff may indeed still build the occasional passenger liner, too.

South Bristol is... supposed to be timeless. Absolutely, emphatically, it's supposed to be something eternal. I have a lot of reasons for this, too, both practical and personal. Especially given where it is.

But I tend to definitely take the view that the 23rd century isn't some unrecognizable wonderland of gadgets. ;-) I think some things have changed for the better -- on Earth, anyway, I think that there's education for those who want it, and that food is plentiful, and that most of the cracks towards homelessness and desperation have been done away with by any number of means. But, not all. I think humanity still has its issues, as does Earth.

But I think a lot of things would still be the same. For instance, instead of water laundry units and dryers, you probably have sonic laundry units that make it quicker and easier to wash clothes, without the inherent effects water takes on fabric. But, even though it's established that there's such a thing as sonic showers, I think most of humanity probably still has a good, old-fashioned water shower. Because really, who wants to bask in the warm streams of... uh... sonic waves?! after a long day. ;-)

It's just a matter of balancing the old and new in a way that makes logical sense. It's doubtful that most people have a personal transporter in every home (just look at how much trouble a transporter sometimes could be on a starship!), and it's doubtful that people still don't have to clean their houses, wash their dishes or cook their food. Some things change... but some things are timeless. And, really, should be.

And that's... a really long answer to a simple question. Sorry!

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
I agree with where you are going with your reply to Mr. Watson's story. It definately seems he has his eye on that past. I like it...I hadn't read this story yet and decided to so after his McCoy story in the monthly challenge...keep it up my dear watson

Rob
Heya Rob! Yeah, I really do keep an eye firmly on what comes before when trying to write what comes later. A whole lot can happen in 300 years, but some things remain fixed -- everything gets smaller, or more efficient, at least those things that need to. But I don't see everything changing so dramatically and completely that the world no longer looks or even acts anything like it does today. Better, certainly, in a lot of ways. But an ideal we can reach, instead of a magical wonderland that seems impossible to achieve.

Does that make sense?

-Steff
it certainly does, which is why I think TOS is still,after all these years, the TREK most people are attracted too.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote