View Single Post
Old November 4 2008, 10:19 PM   #246
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Pingfah wrote: View Post
I mean, I understand that Halloween was a groundbreaker, but when put up against any of a number of slasher films, it's not really any better, I just don't think the slasher formula was a very good or interesting one to start with.
I can't disagree, even if I like some of the films. And all of the imitations and returns to the well take away from the innovation of the first film. I wasn't aware that there was an alternate cut of the third movie.

Back to books, since I finished Halloweenland (blarg) on the 30th, I decided to give another seasonal book a try. So far, I'm about a third of the way into Blood Red by James A. Moore. (Thankfully, I don't have to look at the garish cover on Kindle. ) It's pretty good so far--more spooky stuff happening in a New England town around Hallowe'en. He's taking his time to get the plot going, but the writing itself is enjoyable enough that I don't really mind. I already wish I had picked it up instead of Halloweenland.

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
It is, as part of the Midnite Movies line. (And wow--$5.49? Snatch that baby up while it's still in print.)
Done!

I'm sure tonight will be dominated by election stuff, but I'll definitely watch Twice Told Tales by the end of the week. Maybe I'll watch Tales of Terror, too, since it's on the same disc, and let you know what I think of that one.