View Single Post
Old November 4 2008, 01:41 AM   #134
JeremyW
Commander

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

David Mack wrote: View Post
Jeremy, thanks for the detailed analysis of Mere Mortals. To answer one of your questions, about whether I intentionally paralleled the themes and ideas of John Milton's Paradise Lost in the Hernandez story arc, note the epigraph of the book — which I selected precisely for its relevance to her story:

Our torments also may in length of time
Become our elements, these piercing fires
As soft as now severe, our temper changed
Into their temper.
—John Milton, Paradise Lost, book 2
Also, because you seem to have a keen eye for religious allusions in the text, I think you'll find a lot to dig into with Lost Souls. Enjoy!
Dave, thanks for the notes. I saw the selected text, and I guess I was thinking whether the book as an entire work was paralleled or referenced. I like how you referenced it, even in Warpath. (It was enough that a few months ago, I was talking to a roommate who studied the text whether I could borrow his textbook. He didn't have the whole work, but I later found it at a bookstore and am loving it.)

Yeah, I've seemed to develop a religious eye for your text. You're a quite popular name among some of my LDS friends right now. I've gotten a few of them to read elements of Gods of Night and Mere Mortals and they like it a lot. These books are freakin' rad, and I'm looking forward to reading Lost Souls. I have to go offline for awhile (moving and preparing for a mission), but I can promise a final review of Lost Souls one way or another. Keep it up.

Thanks for the response. It's very much appreciated!!!