View Single Post
Old November 2 2008, 03:04 PM   #102
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Since we're on the subject of such minor things, one thing I was wondering is why the Defiant is always referred to as "Defiant" but never, "the Defiant"

Since it happens with other ships, "the Enterprise", "the Aventine", "the Columbia" etc
In general, I think proper naval parlance is to use no article before a ship's name, and you see that reflected in later Trek shows -- it's always "Voyager" rather than "the Voyager," and NX-01 is called "Enterprise" rather than "the Enterprise." But in the books, both tend to be used, and I think it's often a matter of what sounds better in context, what flows better. For instance, Riker's ship is just called "Titan," which I think sounds better than "the Titan" and is easier to say, without too many t/th sounds too close together.

Although I do recall the Defiant being routinely referenced with an article in the show itself, so I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote