View Single Post
Old November 1 2008, 10:01 PM   #52
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: The Kelvin's uniforms

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post

Actually, my only quibbles with the "new" uniforms fall into the stupid fabric thing, and the replacement of the gold details with silver ones.
I feel compelled to repeat myself on this issue:
I'm surprised no one has brought this up before, but current MARPAT U.S. Marines uniforms incorporate the Marines' Eagle Globe and Anchor (EGA) at regular intervals throughout the uniform fabric. The emblems are only 1/4" in size, aren't easy to see against the camouflage, and aren't repeated at the density seen in the Trek costumes, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the inspiration for the patterns in the new movie.
Just for the record, I did read what you said (and it was worth saying). I think that the MARPAT thing is also extraordinarily goofy, too, though. It doesn't add anything practical, and the line I've heard from people in-service about that sort of thing (the other services have been talking about it as well) is that it's the inevitable result of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy... and that they think that the new uniform style is, well.. "FAAABulous."
If we accept that the delta is the service-wide emblem, then I'm not sure I find anything objectionable in the new fabric texture. This could be a style thing of Starfleet or a security issue, making it harder for an impostor to simply throw on black pants and a colored tunic and try to blend in. Someone's bound to notice something's not quite right with that science crewman they don't recognize when they get close enough to notice his tunic is unpatterned.
I get your point. It's just that the idea seems so... well, so over-the-top... that it does nothing but make me wince when I see it.

What next? Everyone gets little diamond-encrusted starfleet-arrowhead caps on their teeth for that extra Starfleet "bling?"
Even if the delta isn't service-wide, but Enterprise-specific, the same could hold true. Each ship's quartermaster would equip new crew with official uniforms for that ship as they come aboard.
Sure... if there was any practical benefit to this, I might buy that as a valid argument. But honestly, I see nothing of any kind being added to the uniform by virtue of this. It's there for "style" but for no other purpose.

And from a film-making standpoint... it wastes the studio's money on something which, at best, will never be noticed. As I've said before, if the audience actually notices this, that will only mean that the storytelling has left them so bored that they have nothing better to do than look at fabric patterns. NOT something that would bode well for the film.
Personally, I've never seen the pull-over tunics to look terribly much like a uniform. When that Air Force officer interrogating Kirk in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" asks if Kirk's wearing some kind of uniform, I usually just smile and shake my head. The only thing that begins to look vaguely like a uniform on Kirk's attire are his captain's stripes. Everything else looks like leisure-wear to me. Unfortunately, these new outfits don't resolve my little problem.
Well, the way I've always chosen to look at it is that the uniforms we saw all the time in Trek were one uniform option, not the only uniform available. During the first season, we saw a lot of other variations, but they eventually (mainly for cost reasons, I assume) stopped using variations and other uniform types, and everyone just wore their velour-of-the-day.

In an equivalent to real, modern military uniforms, I'd say that the stuff we normally saw our heroes wearing was the "Class B" uniform.... the casual, daily-wear uniform. This would be typical for on-ship duty.

There'd also be a variety of "class C" uniforms... depending on the job. Engineering jumpsuits, for instance, would be a "class C" uniform, while security guys would have a very different (combat-oriented) class-C. The class - C is the "working wear" uniform.

There'd also be a "class A" uniform. This would be something more along the lines of what I think you're thinking... and much more closely related to the ST-TWOK style uniform (which is really impractical for daily wear, IMHO).

To compare the Army "Class A" and "Class B" uniforms, see this site. It's a PDF file.

http://swc2.hccs.edu/texasmedicalran...ss-A-and-B.pdf

The TOS uniform is equivalent to a "Class B," I think.

Of course, there's also the "dress uniform" which is NOT equivalent to a "class A" uniform. I had both dress blues and dress whites when I was in the service... while my Class A was Army green. The "dress jacket" worn by Kirk and company a few times is more like that than like a class-A design.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote