View Single Post
Old November 1 2008, 04:49 AM   #75
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

casey wrote: View Post
While I am still convinced that the Caeliar be related to the Borg, I did stumble upon something when I was going through the book again that might be problematic. On Page 110, second full paragraph from the bottom, Inyx explains to Hernandez: "Because the passage of our cities and the others in the past has resulted in no detectable change of the timeline, we have deduced that these events must have occurred in the timeline that we consider standard."

Now, I find it hard to think that the Caeliar hadn't noticed the huge difference in the timeline that there are suddenly millions of Borg running about assimilating everyone.
But that's the whole point of Inyx's statement -- that the event didn't alter the timeline, it recursively caused the events that were already part of the timeline. It's a "predestination paradox," like how the Enterprise going back in time and intercepting Gary Seven was just a part of how events in 1968 had "always" happened.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote