View Single Post
Old November 1 2008, 02:28 AM   #239
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2008!

Well, Halloweenland was kind of a bust. I've liked some of Sarrantonio's earlier stuff, but this one kind of felt like the end of a contract or something. It followed the formula where the protagonist goes from one source of information to the next, following a chain of people and piecing together information that eventually brings them right where they started. It just kind of felt banged out, which is a bummer. And the epilogue had me rolling my eyes. It's too bad, but at least it's a short read at 230 pages.

Camevilopard wrote: View Post
Well, I read Come Closer by Sara Gran.

It was a very quick read--I finished it in a few hours--and not at all what I was expecting.

When I started reading, the style struck me as very noir-ish--first-person, matter-of-fact--not what I would expect from a horror novel.

And sure enough, it basically turned out to be demonic noir--as if James M. Cain had written Rosemary's Baby. In fact, it reminded me strongly of Jason Starr's Hard Feelings, with a supernatural twist. And now that I think about it, it also reminds me of William Hjortsberg's Falling Angel, which was filmed as Angel Heart
I sounds like a fun little read. I think I'll bump it up on my list. Thanks!

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
Today I'll be watching the TCM Marathon (I actually taped a couple overnight) and probably dipping into Halloween Reader and Far Below.
I often wish I had TCM, but heck, looking at the schedule, I actually own most of the movies they're showing. So maybe I'll simulate a TCM experience. I wonder if my wife can do an impersonation of Robert Osborne, and, if she can, if I'd really want to hear it....

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
But today I got a package from Cemetery Dance Publications, containing this year's Halloween Misfits grab bag, a set of damaged or irregular books at bargain prices. I now have Brimstone Turnpike, edited by Kealan Patrick Burke, Joyride by Jack Ketchum, and (hey) Halloween and Other Seasons by Al Sarrantonio. I'll probably dig into the last of these tonight.
Let us know how you like those. I love those Cemetery Dance books. It's unfortunate that they haven't been able to ship out the latest issue of the magazine before Hallowe'en.

I actually thought of you a couple of weeks ago, when I picked up a copy of Teatro Grottesco by by Thomas Ligotti. It's a nice little book; I'm looking forward to reading it. I have The Shadow at the Bottom of the World, too, but I've resisted reading it because I've gotten the notion that I've got to bone up on my Lovecraft, first. I honestly have no idea where I got that idea.

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Still working through the complete compendium of Varney the Vampire ...
How is that? That's one I've always kind of wondered about, but I've never dived into it.