View Single Post
Old October 31 2008, 06:48 PM   #110
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Sigils and Unions--The Thirteenth Order

SLWatson wrote: View Post
Oh, absolutely. There's no perfect culture, but there are also none that are so deeply evil down to every individual that you can't find the good points. I've never honestly felt strongly about the Cardassians one way or the other -- DS9 was something I watched if it happened to be on, but never seriously. Of course, I did sympathize with Bajor, but had my problems with Bajoran culture at points, too. So, it really doesn't shock me that there would be decent Cardassians, probably more than most would expect even.

It's just great to see how you weave it all together and make it so real and relatable that keeps me coming back for more. There may well be other authors who write Cardassian culture, but they'd be hardpressed to beat your vision of it.
SLWatson wrote: View Post
Well, dammit, I'm all through with what you've posted so far. The toast to the Thirteenth Order was absolutely great, I thought. If you'd handled it without any sincerity, if it had been ham-handed, THEN you would have to worry about cliche. But, it wasn't. It struck a real tone, a genuine one where everyone did believe in what they were saying.

This story just rocks. I'm very much looking forward to more.
Glad you like! I'm afraid it'll probably be another week or two before the next section...I'm into some difficult writing now and I do like to be several sections ahead of what I'm posting, to give me time to edit things properly.

Obviously I thought the Bajoran Occupation was horrible. And in a lot of ways, it was the ultimate symbol (along with Dukat himself) of that sickness I was talking about on the part of Cardassian culture/government. But when you read stories about people who have had to live under totalitarian regimes, works by authors like Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Azar Nafisi, and others like them, you start to see that even though the government and people who benefit from that sort of regime may be corrupt and responsible for all sorts of crimes...that the everyday people aren't a monolithic bloc of evil and that there is still good to be found.