View Single Post
Old October 29 2008, 02:44 AM   #26
SLWatson
Captain

Send a message via AIM to SLWatson
Re: ST:TOS - General Fanfic

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
A very professional, very mentoring relationship between Pike and Spock. Itís rather ironic that Spockís best friend and commanding officer later in his career would be such an impulsive firebrand. Perhaps it was Pikeís patient instruction that gave Spock the perspective to accept Kirk for who and what he was.

Oh, and so thatís what a calm, fully functioning starship is supposed to run like. Iíd wondered...
LMAO! I think it really was Pike's mentoring in a more distant, professional (but still sincere) way that DID allow Spock to serve later on. It gave him a chance to kind of find his feet and learn his job, and get more internally secure so that when Jim came along, he was better able to handle the inevitable ups-and-downs two friends so different would face.

And yeah, I get the notion that Pike's Enterprise ran on a lot more formality and military precision than Kirk's did. Which is no bad thing.

Thank you very much for the comment!

TheLoneRedshirt wrote: View Post
Very nice vignette with a younger Spock serving with Captain Pike. It's a shame there aren't more stories from this era.
I've written a few more, but they're for one of my storylines and I'm not sure I'll post that far in it, just because there's so many blank spaces yet where big stories and adventures go. But if I don't, I will post a link so potential Pike-era fans can read 'em.

TheLoneRedshirt wrote: View Post
Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Oh, and so thatís what a calm, fully functioning starship is supposed to run like. Iíd wondered...
Yeah, but it's quiet.

Too quiet.

Thanks for the comment, and the subsequent laugh!
SLWatson is offline   Reply With Quote