View Single Post
Old October 27 2008, 05:40 PM   #28
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Mere Mortals - SPOILER Thread

casey wrote: View Post
Anyone else think this might be a possibility??
That's been my theory since reading the end of Gods of Night. I look at it this way: we know that three Caeliar cities escaped the destruction of Erigol. Axion went on to found New Erigol. One of the others was the far distant civilization that caused the cataclysm in the first place. That leaves one unaccounted for. Either of the latter two could eventually have become the Borg.

It's interesting to me that we haven't heard anything more about Mantilis, the city where only the six humans and twelve Caeliar survived. They ended up an unspecified distance into the past and about 60,000 light years from Erigol/the Azure Nebula- roughly the right distance, if my general understanding of the galactic map is correct, to be somewhere in eventual Borg territory. Think of it: only 18 survivors, and when last we see them they're about to crash into a planet. Just the kind of desperate circumstances that could lead to military modification of the gestalt, via MACO ideology, say? And then there's Kiona Thayer, the injured human woman. Given that the Caeliar don't look particularly human, it's interesting that the Borg queen does. If her injuries were bad enough, Thayer might need to be crudely introduced into the gestalt... and then...

Well, I look forward to being proved wrong in a few weeks. Anyway, the back cover of Lost Souls says "But for those who, millennia ago, had no choice...this is the hour of their final, inescapable destiny." Which would suggest that we will be getting the alpha and omega of the Borg. Epic indeed.