Thread: Passchendaele
View Single Post
Old October 26 2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Passchendaele

John Clark wrote: View Post
I'll be having a look at it when it hits the dvd shelves over here (There's little chance it'll get to the cinema here)
Likewise.

It's curious. Yesterday I was cleaning up some newspapers in my office, and I found an article I'd clipped around Memorial Day. It asked the question -- "Why don't Americans remember World War I?" It is, as best I can tell, America's forgotten war.

Strangely, I've always been captivated by World War I. My grandfather served in the Navy during World War II -- he'd have been part of Operation Olympic, the invasion of Kyushu -- but I had no relatives who served in World War I. My closest connection to World War I, strangely enough, is the barber in my hometown in West Virginia when I was growing up; he had served as a drumboy in Pershing's army.

This film is definitely something I'll want to check out. Even if I have to get the DVD through Amazon.ca.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote