View Single Post
Old October 25 2008, 06:29 PM   #5
TerriO
Writer-type human

Re: I have an idea for a Star Trek Novel!

marknetprod wrote: View Post
I am looking for other writers/Trek fans willing to help me develop, write, and pitch to Pocket Books an adventure that takes place in the 25th century but ends up on the Enterprise being refitted before ST-TMP. I wish to make this a Scotty adventure, rather than a typical Kirk-Spock-McCoy story. I want to learn all I can about the major refit of the Enterprise and I like to know what kind of time travel element that would make this exciting to read! Please contact me on here and at hudsonman35@gmail.com, help me succeed on this project! I been a Trek fan for over 30 years now, I met George Takei and Nichelle Nichols years ago. I want to write for Star Trek!

Markus McLaughlin
marknetproductions.wordpress.com
Hudson, MA, USA
It's a great idea, in theory, but I've got to ask if you've actually kept up with how the novels have been using Scotty, because that's going to play into your proposal considerably, I think. The only thing that allows me to legally be in here is the fact that I'm not writing Trek fiction professionally anymore, so I'm afraid I can't offer help beyond a bit of advice from my time doing this professionally.

My best advice? Don't try to propose a story you're emotionally attached to. Because if it even flies (which, considering how serialized things have been lately, there's at the very least a 50/50 chance it won't), you will probably see changes to the proposal from the licensor. I don't think I've ever seen a novel proposal go through without changes in all the time I've been in or around the process.

But definitely write your outline (often referred to as the proposal) first. Unless you really want to write 100K of novel without a guide, and then reverse the proposal out of the finished manuscript. I've tried that. It's really masochism, IMO.

Follow the guidelines at simonsays.com. Seriously. I'm not seeing a way that this could violate the "stories we don't want to see" portion of the guidelines, but this is a very basic description at best.

One thing I highly recommend doing, prove to yourself that you can write to completion a 100K novel before even attempting this. As someone who had to face a lot of doubt about whether I was "ready" to write a novel, proving your ability to write and finish the 100K involved will put a point in your favor before you even start.

And you'll actually get a hearing if you have an agent. Unsolicited manuscripts aren't exactly flying these days.

And there you face the tricky part: getting an agent when all you have for them to try to sell is a Trek novel. This is why so many people recommend establishing yourself with original fiction before you try to sell to Trek. Your chances of getting an agent improve the more they see you as someone with more than a Trek novel they can represent.

I apologize for the haphazard nature of the post. I'm in the middle of moving into a new apartment right now, and I saw this as I was taking a break from lifting furniture. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have on the processs. If I don't have the answer, I know several people who might.