View Single Post
Old October 25 2008, 05:54 PM   #118
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

superkargon wrote: View Post
Hello Everyone-

I am sorry that my first post on the boards is one of asking for tech support but I am not sure what to do.

I have been trying to get Star Trek Armada to run on Windows XP. I have tried running it in all compatibility modes with no luck. The game runs, however the graphics are screwed up. The silver/chrome loading screen has a "tearing" look to it and when the game loads the ships and objects have a tearing affect as well.

I am running:

Windows XP 32-bit service pack 3
2 gig ram
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.20 GHz
Nvidia Geforce 8300 GS with latest video drivers

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a video card driver problem. My first suggestion would be to try other resolutions, other video card settings, etc. You might want to turn video hardware acceleration down a notch or two and see if that helps.

It's worth noting that many times, "newer" drivers actually BREAK more things that they fix. I've tried "upgrading" my video drivers several times and have always gone back to the old 93.71 drivers (with 91.31 stereo drivers) I've had on here for a looong time. Everything I've got works with them, but every driver since then has caused some sort of problem for me. nVidia's stereo drivers after that point, for instance, have a "keyboard driver" as part of them which prevents my joystick set from proper keypress emulation.

Think about that. VIDEO DRIVERS prevent a joystick from working?

My point - don't assume that having the "latest" versions means everything is good, or that having the highest levels of acceleration and the most features turned on is necessarily "good" in all cases.

Try different (older) drivers. Try turning off antialiasing. Try turning off anisotropic filtering. Try turning acceleration down a notch. Try adjusting resolution, color depth, refresh rate, etc.

The only way to get these things to work is to experiment. Wish I had better advice, but there you go.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote