View Single Post
Old October 24 2008, 03:18 PM   #32
Marie1
Rear Admiral

Re: Jadzia Dax, not used in Ds9 how she was supposed to be?

I really liked Jadzia- and far more than Ezri at that. Jadzia showed a good aptitude for sciences as already pointed out. But because she was drawing on what? 6 former lives? It wouldn't make sense to limit her to that capacity. She was a capable theorist and intellegent, and her repair/engineering/computer skills were also really good. It makes sense for an officier to not be limited, say the way Julian sometimes seems to be baffled by engineering stuff- tho he may be doing it intentionally. Also, the war was a big part of it- hard to study things while grenades are going off in your face (reference stolen from Jarhead). However- in "the Jem'Hadar"- it was Jadzia who pointed out that detaining Sisko would not stop them from exploring the GQ. And whose to say that a lot of the time she sat at her console she wasn't doing science-y things? I studied science for 3 1/2 years- you don't spend a crazy amount of time in the field or dissecting, etc. Most of its using a pencil or a computer... and sitting on your butt. Booo!