View Single Post
Old October 24 2008, 05:34 AM   #14
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Re: How could they evac Pegasus?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The only thing that bothered me about the Pegasus evacuation is how the hell did the Fat Man (Lee) move his fat ass from CIC to the hangar deck fast enough?

He was the last one to leave the CIC, I'm surprised they waited for him.

Harvey wrote: View Post
Kaijufan wrote: View Post
philbob wrote: View Post
The Galactica for the first time in the show is actually near full crew strength after absorbing the Pegasus crew.
Yeah that's why it bothered me when they did an episode where the deck crew is very overworked, I would think that if anything they had too many people after getting the Pegasus crew.
The problem is neither Galactica nor Pegasus were anywhere near close to full strength during the battle of New Caprica. Both operating with a third...a quarter of their crew? I think it's established in dialogue, or in a deleted scene (David cgc would know better than I).

So, even when the crews were combined, they weren't at full strength. Yes, no doubt they picked up people from New Caprica, but something like 10,000 were lost there (IIRC), no doubt a number of them former military people. Add to that the Circle's rampant executions (i.e. Jammer) in "Collaborators" and you've got a recipe for too little manpower.
Battlestar Wiki gives us a decent idea of the crew size of the Galactica and Pegasus, though after New Caprica it's pretty much impossible to know the crew size.

With a Galactica crew of 2,600 and a Pegasus crew of 1,700 even if several hundred military personal were killed on New Caprica they still should have 2500-3000, which I would think is enough to run the Galactica.