Just finished it today and I'll have a review up in a couple of days. In short... excellent read. I wanted to put this thread up to start the discussion.
A couple of points...
- I was digging the subspace tunnels concept and all the high-concept ideas hinted at (a race who can travel at warp by thought- and they owned the Borg? A galaxy where many of the stars are contained in structures?). I was hoping the tunnels would stick around and, oh, I don't know... maybe Voyager could spend some time exploring them...
- Over seven thousand, four hundred Borg ships? That ending... wow.
- Leave it to D-Mack to take a potentially fannish concept (Worf vs. Hirogen ZOMG!11!!) and make it really work. The entire Hirogen sequence was incredibly well-written, extremely intense. Loved it.
- The Ree / Troi cliffhanger... was that every fanboy's fantasy made manifest?
- Hernandez's and her crew's plight... again, great job. It forms the emotional spine of this novel and is just heartbreaking in so many ways. I can't believe Erika isn't crazy by now.
More thoughts as they come, but overall, a great effort. The only nitpick that comes to mind right now is the very end... I'm not a fan of Riker's decision, on a few levels, but I'm interested to see where it goes.