View Single Post
Old October 15 2008, 08:00 AM   #114
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile
Re: I have read Titan #1, #2, & #3...reading #4

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Mr. Thorne:
Who? Geoff works fine. Or redjack. We're all pals here. Seriously.

I would like to make sure there was no confusion--I don't want you to think I was taking any sort of personal jab at you with my criticism of Sword of Damocles. It's true I didn't take well to the "A"-plot. However, the B-plot (Dakal's personal journey) definitely resonated. That character practically screamed to be fleshed out, and I'm glad you did. One of the most poignant parts of the end sequence was to see Dakal's consternation at not being able to find Jaza's body for burial.
1) Yes, it's my desire to please everyone in the world. However I know that's not possible. So I fully support any antipathy towards my work while always preferring to be told how awesome I am. No harm. No foul.

2)If you liked any aspect of the book- even if it's only the jacket design or the fonts, I'm fine with it. Enjoy or don't enjoy as you like. You paid for it. I don't take it personally. I'll get you next time.

One question, though...when someone else asked about it and he basically said, "It's a Cardassian thing; you wouldn't understand" (I paraphrase), did you see that as a stress reaction on his part, maybe an attempt to deflect a question that would've hurt him too much to answer at that time?
Honestly? Both.

I think Dakal is one of the most interesting characters ever put into the Trek-verse and, since we've largely seen Cardassians only through the lens of their relationship to Bajor or the Dominion, I wanted to dig into his status as an outsider among people who have a very legitimate reason to dislike the sight of him. More than almost anyone else on Titan, Dakal is alone.

Nothing makes you feel more alone than the loss of a loved one coupled with a (self-perceived) inability to properly share the loss with anyone.

Or did he really believe he wouldn't be able to explain it in a way that made sense to outsiders? (I ask that because you hear all the time of how it affects people right here in this world when there is no body to bury.)
I think Dakal is working through a lot. Sure, under other circumstances, he would have been able to explain it to her but he was feeling too much at just that moment to be sweet. He had made a deeper connection with Jaza than he'd anticipated and the loss hurt more deeply than Dakal expected. People often lash out under those conditions or withdraw or both.

I picture the Caitian culture as being, essentially, the opposite of Cardassian which is why I wanted an attraction between the two characters. If CLB (or anyone else) puts them together as a couple, the cultural clash should be illuminating and funny.

Hsuuri was trying to comfort him according to her cultural beliefs, essentially offering physical pleasure as an offset to emotional pain. My understanding of Cardassian culture is that it is extremely rigid and ritualistic. Caitians would be more into doing the New Orleans or Irish thing- having a party (or sex) to celebrate the lost life. Neither her nor his way is wrong but they will clash. If he had understood what she was saying to him he would likely have ben offended, finding that kind of frivolity obscene in the context of Jaza's apparent death.

While the Cardassian way is unattractive to me, personally, I wanted to show Dakal missing the comfort of and even loving some aspects of a culture we've been shown to be essentially evil for most of its fictional existence.

Also I wanted him to TOTALLY miss the hot girl telling him she was interested in him emotionally because men, whatever their species, are quite stupid that way. Especially young men.

Stupid is funny.

Ultimately I wanted to show that the descendants of Jews (or Gypsies or Slavs or Poles or Homosexuals) and Nazis or Slaves and Slavers can find love and friendship even when the bad times are still fresh in their minds. Dakal's need to find Jaza's body was an expression of his love.

One thing I think everyone who has written Titan stories so far shares is the notion that this is an experiment. None of the characters involved knows how Riker's vision will play out or if it will at all. I feel, personally, that it could just as easily fail as not and there's no guarantee at all of a positive resolution. Maybe these people can't get along. I hope they can but I don't assume they will. Diversity means complexity and that means friction at every level, even while falling in love or trying to grieve.

I love Dakal. I hope he survives Destiny.
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote