View Single Post
Old October 14 2008, 07:18 PM   #210
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2008!

I got a surprise delivery yesterday (DHL runs on Columbus Day?)--my pre-order of Icons of Horror: Hammer Films. I didn't have any time to watch one of the movies, but I couldn't help but peek at them.The transfers are beautiful, which really heightens those Hammer production values.

Scream of Fear is the one black and white film on the set, and it looks like it's more in the vein of Psycho than creature feature. It looks beautifully shot, though.

Curse of the Mummy's Tomb looks good. Reviews seem to put it right in the middle of the other Hammer Mummy movies, quality-wise.

The Gorgon is the one I'm really looking forward to. It's got Lee and Cushing, and it's directed by Terence Fisher. Three great tastes that taste great together. I don't know how Hallowe'en-y it is, but hopping through it I saw spooky houses, full moons, etc. It may just qualify.

The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is another Fisher film, and it makes the interesting choice to present Mr. Hyde as the handsomer persona. I'm interested to see how that plays out; like a meaner version of The Nutty Professor?

Maestro wrote: View Post
Spookman Spiff wrote: View Post
I'm genuinely interested; I bought The Tomb some time back, and I intend to get to it before much longer.
A good book, but somewhat plodding. Don't get turned off by the first 2/3rds. The final 1/3rd is the pay-off, as is the intro to the rest of the series.
Thanks for the warning; I'll bear it in mind as I read it. I've managed to hold on through some pretty dull books, so I should be able to make it to the payoff.

After twelve books, it's surprising that there hasn't been an attempt to adapt any of it for the screen. Of course, as I type that, someone's probably putting something together. Hollywood seems to be mining for franchises these days.

Camevilopard wrote: View Post
I think I will read Come Closer by Sara Gran this Halloween. I've had it on my shelf for quite some time.
I have, too. It's a possession story, isn't it? I should read it soon; it looks like a quick little read.

Let us know what you think of it.