View Single Post
Old October 14 2008, 02:11 AM   #7
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: 3 Possibilities for Series VI

At risk of repeating myself, IMHO TOS should stay at the theaters and TNG et.al. should stay on TV. TOS focuses mostly on 3 main characters, which is fine for an epic 2-hour movie. But TNG-style stories deal with ensamble casts and their relationships with each other and perpheral characters, which is better handled as episodic TV. If STXI is successful, I figure we'll see at least 2 sequels. With that kind of interest generated among teens and adults, a CGI TV series could attract them and kids, which opens up a huge market for toys. I'm hoping for a 25th century setting with only a few know characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY.

For as long as I can recall, everytime I went into a toy store there were Star Wars toys on the shelves. Toy makers are always coming out with a new board games, video games, action figures, ships, weapons, etc. There were only 6 live action movies and now one CGI film yet every kid knows about SW. The same could be said about Batman merchandice. With that franchise, though, there have been numerous itterations and continuity meant nothing between them. Trek had a time during the 90s when everytime you turned around there was some new toy, game, or collectible. I miss that. I'm hoping STXI makes Trek as accessible as SW is to so many people of all ages.