View Single Post
Old October 14 2008, 12:04 AM   #206
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Hallowe'en Reading and Viewing, 2008!

Maestro wrote: View Post
And the new Repairman Jack book comes out Tuesday.
I've still got to try one of those. What's the premise? I've read some vague blurbs about Jack being the one to help with unusual problems, but I've never seen one go into more depth. I assume there are paranormal elements involved?

I'm genuinely interested; I bought The Tomb some time back, and I intend to get to it before much longer.

I saw what looked like a prequel or "Young Jack" type of book on Amazon. I assume you'd have to have read a few already, though, to really appreciate it.

RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
My Halloween reading plans have changed slightly; thanks to my brother, I suddenly find myself in possession of a mint copy of Return Of The Wolf Man. I'll be diving into that immediately.
Your brother rocks. I can't wait to see what you have to say. It's not perfect, but I think it's a lot better than the attempted Universal Monster continuations we've seen lately.

Mad Monster Party? was really bizarre. Kurtzman's involvement isn't at all surprising, as there were gags that felt like they'd be at home in early MAD magazine. There are whole sections of the movie that are pretty much just different monster gags strung together. They all fit within the context of the story, but sometimes just barely.

Like you said, there are lots of moments where you think, "Did they really just do that?" There were plenty of things that would end up on the cutting room floor these days. There were several parts where I had to rewind it to make sure of what I'd just seen.

The weirdest part is probably the songs. Most of them seem kind of random and forced, especially in comparison to other Rankin-Bass productions. It makes sense for Yukon Cornelius to break into "Silver and Gold," for example, but some of these numbers are presented as if the characters up and decided, "I'ma sing now!"

Still, it was a lot of fun.