Thread: cable tv TREK
View Single Post
Old October 13 2008, 08:08 PM   #11
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: cable tv TREK

Where did I say "no sex," and where did I say I was ignorant of the fact that sex sells? Now who's overreacting? I said handle it with maturity. As much as people want to rag on TOS for the miniskirts and the scantily clad alien princesses and Kirk getting it on, TOS really was far more mature than some of its successors in terms of sex and how it presented sex to the audience of the time. If Trek wants to be a serious show taken seriously by adults, knock it off with the women in catsuits and decon gel. You don't see that sort of shit on C.S.I., E.R., 24, Lost, and the rest.

Or, to frame it in terms of Rob's original post, people don't watch The Sopranos, Dexter, Oz, The Wire, or any of the other shows because they had profanity, sex, and violence. They watched them because the shows were intelligently written, with solid groups of actors playing compelling characters. That's the sign of a good show, when the writing is good enough that you can have an unlikeable, perhaps even immoral lead character like Tony Soprano or Dexter Morgan or Al Swearengen, and people like him anyway. Not saying Trek needs a lead character like that, but the writing has to be a lot better than it was on Voyager and Enterprise if they want to compete in today's entertainment marketplace.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote