View Single Post
Old October 6 2008, 04:16 AM   #202
Christopher
Writer

Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

Elemental wrote: View Post
Just finished GTTS! Overall, some very interesting developments, both character-wise and plot-wise.
Thanks!

One of the biggest positives I felt were the overall interlinking theme of family (including Crusher becoming pregnant which is sure to add some drama down the road).
There we go again. It surprises me that everyone sees the theme as family, since that wasn't what I had in mind.

I also felt there were some nice surprises, such as the return and sacrifice of Hugh and formerly unknown Enterprise crew member - Rebekkah (pardon any spelling errors).
Rebekah Grabowski wasn't completely unknown. She was actually established by KRAD in Q&A, in a scene where Picard reflects on the 18 crewmembers taken by the Borg in "Q Who." When plotting GTTS, I decided it would provide a nice bit of continuity if I took one of those crewmembers mentioned in that book and featured them in my book.

I enjoyed the attention to detail in this regard but did feel that at times very dramatic situations were filled with very meticulous (and possibly unnecessary) explanations of the physics of certain situations. Two examples that spring to mind are the firing of the torpedos into the rift created betwen the Enterprise and Borg Cube (and how they would react)
I'm not quite sure what scene you're referring to here.

and the nature in which the Enterprise and Liberator attacked the Borg Cube in the pincer-like fashion (I believe it was refered to as) in order to fool the Borg into exposing its injured side. I think that dramatic situations involving physical battles must be difficult enough for an author to write in a nature that keeps it compelling and suspenseful and I found that going into this level of scientific detail on the page detracted from the drama a bit.
Well, to me, space battles are anything but compelling. Descriptions of ships shooting stuff at each other and explosions going off and whatnot just don't interest me at all. So the only way I can get interested in writing a battle scene is if there's something to think about, like a clever strategy or a scientific idea that comes into play.

And as others have mentioned, I'm also beginning to suffer from a bit of Borg fatigue. Three massive Borg threats in the last four novels (as well as one supposedly coming in Destiny) strikes me as a bit much and I find that many of their developments (e.g. killing rather than assimilating, proceeding to attack the Federation out of revenge rather than pure utility) are only serving to make them lose the characteristics that made them unique and are becoming more like the majority of other alien enemies we've encountered.
Well, there are practical reasons for those developments. As established in Resistance, their take-no-prisoners approach was a defense mechanism for a nascent Queen; it stands to reason that they'd be most aggressive when at their most vulnerable. Since the Borg seen in Before Dishonor and GTTS were products of that same cube, they apparently inherited that same defensive mode. And even the "revenge" attack on the Federation has a pragmatic purpose; since the UFP proved itself a serious threat to the Borg, that makes it in the Borg's best interests to eradicate that threat with extreme prejudice.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the Borg threat in GTTS was massive. It was just one assimilated ship, an afterthought, really. The only massive thing was the potential for disaster if that one ship managed to get effective slipstream capability back to the rest of the Collective.

And none of the Borg threats we've ever seen before comes anywhere near massive when compared to what's coming in Destiny.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote