View Single Post
Old October 3 2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Haytil
Captain

Re: Is anyone else sick of the junk coming out of both Marvel and DC?

Yeah, I'm really sick of the crossovers and "epic" crap. I thought to myself "Identity Crisis...well, let them get through that, then maybe we'll get some good standalone stories."

Nope. Because then we had Infinite Crisis. And Final Crisis. And 52. And it just keeps going and going and going...

These publishers have some great characters - both heroes, and villains. If they want to do crossovers, fine. But some of the flagship titles (at least one for each major character) should devote themselves to standalone stories - or multi-part stories that don't have more than 2 or 3 parts. (You want to do 6-part, 180 page stories? Fine. Release it as a graphic novel. Don't ruin a comic book line and obligate a reader to pick up 6 issues for a story that can be told in 3, and don't make it hard for new subscribers to jump in, because they start with part 4 of a 6 part storyline and don't get anything INTERESTING to them until the 4th issue of their subscription.).

Seriously, they aren't taking advantage of the story potential of these characters. How many people thought "I want to read some Batman comics" after seeing The Dark Knight? I know I considered buying a subscription then, one which I hadn't had for the last 10 years. Then I checked out what the next couple issues were going to be about - and it's all interconnected, massive crossover storylines that I don't care about.

How many other potentially new readers were turned off for the same reason?

I just want a good old-fashioned Detective story. Batman vs. Two-Face. or Batman takes on a new villain. Or Batman vs. Joker. Or Batman vs. Mad Hatter. Or SOMETHING.

But the main titles don't have that any more - it's either "Batman teams up with 6 other superheroes to save the universe from cosmic collapse" or "Batman fights every villain he knows in one weak mystery that takes 8 issues to tell."

When I was a kid, in the early 90s, the editor of "Batman" made us a promise - a minimum of a year of stories without crossovers, and no storylines longer than 3 issues. To this day, those stories are still the BEST monthly-title stories written - just Batman versus one or two villains at a time, with good mysteries and good writing.

If you want a good story, you have to go back to the classics - but there are only so many of those. And at some point, you want to stop re-reading the same stories, and read new stories instead.

But they just don't tell them anymore (or often enough - you get the odd graphic novel here and there, but this should be a monthly occurence!)

(I focused mostly on Batman in my post, but the same is true of all the other heroes - it's just Batman in particular that, for me, frustrates me).
Haytil is offline   Reply With Quote