View Single Post
Old October 2 2008, 02:46 PM   #93
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Gods of Night - SPOILER Thread

SciFiChick wrote: View Post
The Troi subplot had me riled up a bit.
Ree's diagnosis of the underlying genetic problems is fine. However, there's not reason why the problems should be insurmountable in creating a viable ovum. And I'm calling bullshit on his final diagnosis.

First, okay, Troi has mitochondrial DNA damage. Are there no other Betazoids aboard the Titan that a mitochondria could be borrowed from? Or does the Titan's shipboard computer not have a sequencing of Betazoid mitochondrial DNA? Given that mitochondrial DNA is the most stable across populations, using another Betazoid's mitochondria (or rebuilding it from an established baseline, since Ree says that he can, in fact, rebuild DNA) should be feasible.

Second, the corruption of Deanna's ova DNA. Ree says that he can't rebuild that, because he doesn't know what to rebuild it to. The problem is that Deanna has a fuckload of cells in her body with the standard template. (Use the DNA out of the intestine, like "Up the Long Ladder.") I find it impossible to believe that by the 24th-century Federation medical science can't take a cell and induce meiosis upon its genetic material.

So, I'm forced to draw one or two conclusions. Either it's the Voyager problem -- technobabble for technobabble's sake to confuse the issue with nonsense -- or Dr. Ree is simply unwilling to help Deanna Troi. Given the conversation Ree and Vale have later, the latter is entirely possible, but I can't dismiss the former.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote