View Single Post
Old October 2 2008, 09:46 AM   #77
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Continuity Nazis: Your own personal canon.

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
I think that the rise of the anti-hero in comics is better illustrated by the "reformatting" of the Punisher from psychotic freak to extreme seeker of justice.
You have no idea how much that pisses me off. I will never buy any comic starring Punisher.

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
This isn't just a comics phenomenon; all entertainment media have seen increased prominence of anti-heroes (in great part due to the relaxation of censorship and S&P that allows writers more latitude in what they can depict).
I agree that it permeates all levels of the arts; I don't necessarily think that it has anything to do with censorship, though. It's a social trend that began in the Reagan Era when it became cool to be violent and insensitive, and Human feelings became synonymous with weakness; it's been on a downhill track since then.

A few months ago, I read a book called Superfolks, which came out in the 70s and is considered the precursor to postmodern superhero deconstructionism (e.g. Watchmen). The foreward is written by Grant Morrison, who talks about this and says, in part:

Back in the day when comic book heroes were mostly still innocent of the ravages of time and cynicism, these fallen, fallible men and women of clay must have seemed monstrous parodies. Now they'd fit right in with the locals at any comic book universe. These days no one would be able to know how to tell the joke from the real thing.
And that about sums it up this Dark Age: It's all self-parody, but nobody gets the joke.