View Single Post
Old September 30 2008, 05:51 AM   #44
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Post-DS9 Cardassia

rofeta wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
The Klingons would probably try it but especially given that Martok has the chancellorship, I suspect the Federation could lean on them to renounce their claim. ESPECIALLY if the Cardassians decide to get really loud about Septimus III.
Why would the Federation care about what happened to Septimus III?
It was MASSIVE and I mean MASSIVE overkill. Where is the justification for a wholesale slaughter? The Eleventh Order could easily have been dealt a blow from which they could not recover without having to kill all 500,000. (And there was no statement anywhere to indicate that the 11th did any sort of kamikaze maneuver--the way it was described, the Klingon troops were responsible.) That's not a battle. That's a massacre.

Obviously the Cardassians have some hideous things in their past, and I'm not justifying a bit of it. But Septimus III would, in the Cardassians' eyes, be the most recent in a string of abuses by the Klingons--including the unjustified war that arguably paved the way for the Dominion to take over the Union. If I were them, I would not want a single Klingon in Cardassian territory: they probably would be concerned the Klingons might take the opportunity to finish the genocide the Dominion started. True, Martok's leadership probably means that wouldn't really happen. But if I were a Cardassian, I would not trust that without their having to prove themselves over a long period of time.