View Single Post
Old September 28 2008, 04:37 AM   #180
Lieutenant Commander
Re: Greater Than The Sum Review *** POTENTIAL SPOILERS ***

Got this out of our local library (yay, West Hempstead Public Library) this weekend and read it in less than a day. Without disrespect to the other writers who have tackled this crew lately, I really thought that Christopher nailed the characters' personalities, especially Picard and (of all people) Guinan, who worked in this novel in a way she rarely did even on-screen (again, no disrespect to Ms. Goldberg meant). A few other random thoughts about this very enjoyable book:

1) In reading about the Rhea (and especially the aesthetic criticisms of the Luna class spoken by some characters), I kept thinking of poor Sean Tourangeau (the Titan's designer) down the board here in the TrekArt forum, who wasn't given a voice to defend his creation!

2) I found the epilogue somewhat underwhelming, particularly the idea that the Borg were now able to defeat the MVA "ultimate weapon" because Leybenzon failed to inject it into them, leaving it available for analysis. Given how many times the Borg have beaten these virus-type things, I thought that it wouldn't have ultimately defeated all of them even had Leybenzon succeeded, and even had he injected it, they might well have been able to analyze it with their own internal systems before it finished them off, so they'd have essentially the same edge. Or did I miss something critical?

3) I have some Borg fatigue, as others have expressed, but in thinking about it, what other enemy is left to give these characters a serious challenge? At least the Borg have finally evolved; I never found their clunky movements and vulnerable systems (as depicted on screen, especially in VOY) to be all that representative of what was supposed to be such a dangerous race. Vindictive Borg, creative Borg; that's true adaptation to the threat.

As I say, minor quibbles in what was otherwise a very enjoyable read. Thanks to Christopher, and I look forward to the next books in this series. {ProfJonathan}
Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
Assistant Professor of Law and Technology
Director, Institute for Business, Law and Technology (IBLT)
Touro Law Center
jezor is offline   Reply With Quote