View Single Post
Old September 27 2008, 08:52 AM   #28
Sci
Admiral

Re: Post-DS9 Cardassia

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
cultcross wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post

And even when someone DOES show a different reaction, they seem to be looked at as kind of a throwback or superstitious or whatever.
Eddington kinda had a point didn't he? "You're just like the Borg, only more insidious"
I think that's what made him an interesting character - he was a character who turned away from the Federation ideals without appearing (to the audience at least) a nutjob or an idiot. In fact, at least in For the Uniform, he seems to ahve it together more than Sisko does. His references to Les Miserables in that episode are not misplaced, imho.
I agree about Sisko coming unhinged in that episode. How was it that he didn't get court martialed out of Starfleet for unleashing a WMD on a planet?! I mean, yeah, Eddington did it, too, but Sisko supposedly had a higher ideal to uphold. What's principled about what he did?
I've no doubt that he would have been court martialed if there had been any deaths from his WMD. But the fact that there was none, coupled with the Federation's irrational hatred of the Maquis for daring to want to secede from the UFP, meant that nothing happened.