View Single Post
Old September 24 2008, 06:44 PM   #56
Starlock
Rear Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

[quote]
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Starlock wrote: View Post
It is always nice to see more on ST:POTT around here, but I have to point out here like I did in an earlier thread that the source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by North American Aviation's XB-70 Valkyire and not Star Wars' Star Destroyer. Hence the "McQuarrieprise" can also be thought of as the "Valkyrieprise".
I love the XB-70 Valkyrie's design, and have several books on it.

On the other hand, while there's a similarity, I have to question the veracity of the statement that the "source of the Enterprise redesign was inspired by" it. Is there factual information to back this up, or is it just logical supposition? I hate to be hard-nosed about this, but I'm trying to get the record straight here (as much as possible), and this project has enough myth and supposition around it without adding to it, so, if you've got a source, I'd love to hear it.
Even those six impulse engines and the elongated dorsal don't convince you?

I admit I should have stated it better, but since Ralph McQuarrie's early works were largely aircraft paintings might I dare suggest contacting the source? info@ralphmcquarrie.com
You have not experienced Monty Python until you have read him in the original Klingon...
Starlock is offline   Reply With Quote