View Single Post
Old September 24 2008, 02:51 AM   #46
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: "Planet of the Titans" Revisited

^^^Thanks for posting that, Trevanian. It's funny how contradictory this stuff is. One source says there was a script, another says there was a treatment. Curiouser and curiouser.

Back to Bryant and Scott. Susan Sackett quotes a few of their memos. Here's a funny one.

An earlier storyline had the Enterprise emerging millions of years in the future. Ever the humorists, Bryant and Scott sent the following memo under the guise of Gulf and Western's chairman:

TO: GENE RODDENBERRY

It is my policy not to interfere in creative decision processes and this is merely to record my enthusiasm for the story which I read last week. May I, however, ask that in the final sequence when the Enterprise arrives at Earth several millions years in the future there be some indication that the solar system is principally owned by Gulf and Western. Nothing ostentatious, mind you, but just the subtlest of hints to this effect. Keep up the good work.

Susan Sackett, The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, p.33
leandar wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post

I'm forced to wonder if Gene might not have used this as a sort of "work from this direction" sort of thing when they were developing the Galaxy-class for TNG cause there's several things on this proto-design that I can see probably getting incorporated later into the Galaxy-class.
I don't think so. The "D" was inspired by a sketch of Andy Probert's of a ship with low slung flattened nacelles.

Back to the topic at hand...
óGlen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice Navidad; September 24 2008 at 07:09 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote