View Single Post
Old September 23 2008, 09:51 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

Re: Picard's 'middle' years

Timo wrote: View Post
Diane quite explicitly described the Pathfinder as a ship that Picard had commanded between the Stargazer and the Enterprise.
I'm still not quite convinced she didn't simply forget the name of Picard's old ship. It's something no proofreader other than herself could ever catch, after all. And after Duane describes the Pathfinder as the ship where Picard and Ileen Maisel served together, she immediately (on the next page) moves on to describe Storennan Grace as "a short, stony-skinned Centaurrin who had also been on Stargazer with them", underlining mine. The word "also" would be quite out of place unless the two ships were one and the same.
You know, I just reviewed the text of Intellivore, and I think you're right. There's one reference to Picard and Maisel's days on the "Pathfinder," and all subsequent references are to their time together on the Stargazer. And as you say, it makes more sense if you substitute Stargazer for Pathfinder on that one page.

And I feel stupid, because I just now figured out that Maisel's complaint that the ship referred to as Pathfinder "never got out of Earth's backyard" was meant to be ironic, a way of indicating that Maisel was so fond of questing outward that even the Stargazer's deep-space tour was too close to home for her.

So it's just as well I didn't reference the Pathfinder in TBA.

Plus you're defining the characters in too limited and stereotyped a way. In fact, I profoundly disagree with your characterization of Riker. As a rule, he was the most passionate xenophile
Oh, definitely agreed. Riker would be the passionate one, in good and bad - loving and hating. Picard would be the one for moderated, diplomatically bland responses, in good and bad. When Picard got openly passionate and opinionated, it was for something truly exceptional in his life.
Uhh, you're cherry-picking my words and twisting the meaning. The key word isn't "passionate," it's "xenophile." My point is that Riker was someone who was drawn to the alien, who rejoiced in diversity. He's the last person who'd be prone to vehement anti-alien sentiment.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote