View Single Post
Old September 23 2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Re: Interview with Christopher L. Bennett

KRAD wrote: View Post
Christopher can answer with more authority, but I believe he meant that the notion of a scientifically plausible ocean planet was only theorized about four years ago. I think we can all agree that those two words rarely have applied to either Star Wars, Lexx, or Voyager.
What I mean is that the planet in the novel is a specific type of planet which was proposed in 2003 by Marc J. Kuchner and Alain Léger (independently), and which was given the formal name "ocean planet" by Léger in 2004. It's a scientific category name like "carbon planet" or "gas giant." Admittedly it's not a very descriptive name, because it doesn't just mean a pelagic planet, a rocky world with a thin veneer of ocean -- it means a planet that consists primarily of water, in liquid and ice form. In other words, something geologically similar to Titan, Enceladus, and many other gas-giant moons, but large enough and warm enough to have a liquid surface. (Wikipedia recommends using the term "ocean world" or "water world" for a planet like Mon Calamari, because "ocean planet" now has a specific technical meaning.)

Rush Limborg wrote: View Post
Uh...outta curiosity, was a video made of this, or an audio-recording?

I'm sure a lot of people here would LOVE to watch it!
If you're referring to the interview, it was conducted by e-mail. It only exists in print.

So...did you ever get any non-Trek stuff published?
So far, only the two stories I got published in Analog in 1998 and 2000, both of which are available on my website.

Doesn't Neptune have a mantle of water or something?
Yes. It and Uranus both belong to a subclass of giant planets called ice giants, because they're abundant in substances like water, methane, and ammonia which are normally ices in that part of the Solar system. Indeed, a Léger ocean planet is basically what Uranus or Neptune would have become if they had migrated closer to the Sun and had their hydrogen atmospheres evaporated away by its heat.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote