Thread: SG1 10x06: 200
View Single Post
Old September 18 2008, 09:22 PM   #34
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: SG1 10x06: 200

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Blame Robert C Cooper but all of the writers had a hand in it, although the final line is a classic.

ANDERS: Science-fiction is an existential metaphor that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blind critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, it's essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.
I can't stand that final line in the episode. This is no Jose Chung's From Outer Space (or Doomsday Defense). There's never any deeper meaning to the happenings of 200, just a lot of cheap laughs. Some of them good laughs, even great laughs. But this line doesn't serve to punctuate anything that has been set up over the course of 42 minutes. And for a series that, in many ways, has become a trivial shoot-em-up, I wonder if Asimov would have felt this way about Stargate at all.

But, of course, others will disagree.
How about what Stargate SG1 had set up over the last ten years of the show and science fiction in general?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books