Thread: Humor on nuBSG
View Single Post
Old September 13 2008, 10:05 AM   #6
MyCylon
Rear Admiral

Re: Humor on nuBSG

species5618 wrote: View Post
The way Buffy would shift gears from humour to tragedy to action is an approach that works well for that show, but would be an absolute disaster on nBSG.
I totally agree with this sentiment. The one time where nuBSG DID try, well, almost a type of comedy episode - "Tigh me up, Tigh me down" - it arguably didn't work very well. Fortunately, they've never tried that again.

Having said that, I think there's lots of humor on nuBSG but it's not about switching from one to the other. It's about finding the humor in the characters and/or in the moment. The two scenes I quoted, I think, are good examples of this.

David cgc wrote: View Post
I thought head-Baltar was the funniest thing in "Downloaded," though "See you soon!" was pretty good, too. I mean, when he, Three and Six all sit down on the bench and match posture or, my personal favorite, when Six glances at him and admits she has some issues to Three, he nods emphatically with this wonderful expression of sardonic sympathy.
Head Baltar was terrific in "Downloaded", I agree. That scene, in particular, was excellent and very funny at the same time. One line I always remember is this one from Head Baltar (on the idea of boxing the entire line of D'Ana's model):
"One might almost call it inhuman...oh, that's right, you are" *smirks*

The line itself is funny but it's Callis's delivery that really does the trick.

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Head Baltar and Real Baltar's conversation with each other early on in season four was great. A shame they're not doing much more with that dynamic.
I agree. That conversation was terrific indeed. I am wondering, though, what the explanation for the Head Sixes and Baltars is going to be. They broke the simple (and quite beautiful IMHO) duality of Baltar's and Six's respective Head Person in this scene, and I wonder what that means. We'll just have to wait and see. But it's really funny alright .

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Ditto. And the subject matter shouldn't preclude effective dark humor. Just look at Dexter - a show with a serial killer as the main character, it's often hilarious.
Well, I honestly don't think it does (preclude effective dark humor). I haven't seen Dexter so I can't compare but I think there's many examples of really effective dark humor on nuBSG. Here's one (Downloaded, again):

Baltar: "What are you suggesting? That we throw it out an airlock?"
Roslin: "I don't make suggestions Mr Baltar. If I want to toss a baby out an airlock, I'd say so."