View Single Post
Old September 12 2008, 08:49 PM   #109
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Re: Fringe: "Pilot" 9/9 - Grading & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Wow, I loved Heroes from the start. I thought the pilot rocked. Not as good as subsequent episodes but more than enough to grab my interest. If Fringe's pilot were half as good, I'd be sticking with it too.
The only recent pilot that I can remember grabbing me from very start was Lost.

Heroes is currently one of my favorite shows, but it has always been guilty of using the characters to move the story along, and not the other way around. It's a Story First show. If it requires someone to do something completely out of character to get a piece moved on the chess board, the writers don't hesitate. That's one of the problems I had with the pilot, underdeveloped stock characters populated out of central casting. They didn't need interesting characters, they needed board pieces with superpowers. But the story was strong enough to keep me invested, and the characters became more interesting along the way.

Fringe is the opposite for me. Interesting characters in service of a - as someone said up thread - routine "been there done that" story, no matter how many varied and strange elements they chucked in there to make me feel differently. There may be help for this show, there may not be. I'll find out next week. Two hours is generally the amount of time I'll give any project this ambitious before bailing.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote