View Single Post
Old September 11 2008, 03:30 PM   #94
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Re: Fringe: "Pilot" 9/9 - Grading & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Tough to judge a show on a pilot. But I have to say, despite a strong lead in Torv and some interesting ideas put into play, ultimately it didn't work. The show feels uninspired and unoriginal. Not an easy feat for something that promises reanimation, teleportation, and all manner of science strangeness. And instead of doing something different to inspire a sense of mystery or foreboding, they went with the tired tried and true. Massive Conspiracy ... no, wait ... Massive Dynamic ... initially feels like just another giant black hat full of shady characters with opaque motives who are destined to dole out cryptic pronouncements about the oncoming whatever - the central bit of weirdness this show will build to, and likely muddle up, along the way.

I'll give it points for style, likeable characters, and a nod for ambition and potential, but its no better than a generously given Average.

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah I found the dialogue to be awfully predictable and obvious at times. Which is something I can never say about Lost (even in a weak episode). The dialogue here was more at the level of VOY or the Stargates almost.
On several occasions the dialogue was so predictable that I said it aloud with the characters.

As they watch Olivia enter the drug induced dreamscape:
"What do we do now?"
"Now, we wait."

The script was littered with such predictability.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; September 11 2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: must spell
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote