View Single Post
Old September 11 2008, 02:09 PM   #71
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: If STNG were remastered...

trevanian wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
Ktrek wrote: View Post
To me it's the same as suggesting that someone try and improve The Lord of The Rings books. They are a product of their time and what we need to do, instead of trying to "improve" them, is educate our young people about history and how to place things within the context of their time.
Yes, damn those people who released a the new German translation of The Lord of the Rings a few years back.
The arguments of those who wanted to cling to the old translation over the new and improved one where quite similar to those here about TOS-R.
Tread carefully there, now laddie. This is the kind of thinking that got us the King James Version of the bible, which from what my biblical scholar friends tell me, is the most fucked-over reinterpretation of all time, and is probably responsible for more pointless deaths and meaningless wars than we can count or imagine.

Those are the kind of improvements nobody needs or should want, because it becomes a matter of not just ignore the facts and print the legend, but 'live like the legend or we'll cut your throat.'
The new translation is obviously closer to the original English - an improvement.
It is therefor better. But 'purists' (like yourself) who cannot cope with the changes (even for the better) still insist that one doesn't meddle with the original translation.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote