View Single Post
Old September 10 2008, 04:35 PM   #63
Cain
Rear Admiral

Re: Fringe: "Pilot" 9/9 - Grading & Discussion (SPOILERS)

davejames wrote: View Post
I liked the main actress, and I think the dynamic between the characters has potential, but I'm afraid the writing and storyline just didn't grab me that strongly at all. Certainly not like Lost did, or Alias in the beginning.

The main problem for me was this feeling of "been there, done that" throughout. It's certainly well made and well acted, but the fact is, well... X-Files already DID these stories. Years ago. And did them really well too. Watching the previews for upcoming episodes gave me even more of that feeling.

Maybe if Abrams puts the focus more on the larger conspiracy, and throws lots of twists and turns at us, I could overlook all that. But right now it looks like the main emphasis is just going to be on the "weird case of the week." Which just isn't new enough for me.
This is pretty much what I was going to say. I also felt that the plot of the pilot was uninteresting and uninspired. The way the father and son come into the plot seemed forced and didn't seem to flow naturally from the plot.

And I don't know if I can handle yet another show with a grand overarching MYSTERY that is slowly fed to us in drips and drabs. It's fine when the premise, the setting, and the characters are interesting like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, or Alias, but Fringe really has none of that.

I'm going to watch for a little while longer, because it was a well made show, and there is some potential, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.