View Single Post
Old September 8 2008, 09:36 AM   #28
Gagarin
Commander

Re: First Replicator Usage?

About TOS replicators or TOS food processors using mini-transporters - I just don't think so. The series and movies gave me the impression that it used a lot of power - slow, big light changes, 'transporter power is down to minimal!' lines and all the transporter malfunction episodes.

Making of Star Trek states that the food slots are mini-turbolifts that go to and from a central facility. There's a supply of food in some form that's worked on through machinery and automation, and for speed-sake, there's probably lots of 'quick' items that are always on call. Coffee, chicken sandwich (favorite of Kirk's?), etc. And depending on how you layout the ship, the food conveyer's may not have needed to go very far. If the mess is on 7 or 8, and the food prep center is on 7 or 8, and the transporter is on 7 or 8... -it might not be that big of a deal. I do like the 'dumbwaiter' vending machine idea, too, for remote areas of the ship (on call engineering break areas). Those things could be easily re-supplied via carts. Someone needs to give all those red-shirts things to do between suicide missions.

You could go back and just say 'well let's make it a replicator, they already have transporters!' but that seems to seriously underplay what can happen in 75 years of advancements. If they even had replicators or mini-transporters all over the 2266 ship - what was left to do by 2370 then? I also think we seriously over estimate how 'good' replicated food is compared to the real equivalent. We have lots of food science in our own time and many of us don't know what the 'real' versions of different things taste like: sugar cane Coke vs. corn syrup Coke, 'oil-based' popcorn butter vs. , uh, actual melted butter. McDonalds hamburger compared to a real piece of never frozen meet on a freshly made kaiser. It's a hamburger, for sure, but it's not the same. But the former would be good enough for a starship.

Saying Transporter = Replicator, to me, is like saying 'Celluloid Film Projection = Interactive Movie, afterall they're both moving pictures on a screen'.

Maybe the 23rd century transporter is an 'analog' technology and is 'digital' in the 24th? It seems to me that some kind of breakthrough happened that allowed practical replication.

Last edited by Gagarin; September 8 2008 at 09:50 AM.
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote