View Single Post
Old September 7 2008, 09:34 PM   #247
JD
Admiral

Re: Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Dayton3 wrote: View Post
I prefer an all male crew as well.
What's the appeal of that, if you don't mind my asking?
First off for those making some inferences, I am not homosexual. Never was.

But I like the concept of all male teams involved in a common pursuit. Like football teams for example or the U.S. military before large numbers of women were allowed to join (my dad was a soldier back in that era).

All male organizations tend to function better than ones that mix males and females. Females are a major distraction and a source of tension for males. Males are far, far easier to control and command where not females are present.

And I like organizations will little emphasis on individualism but emphasize common striving for a goal.

One reason that I dislike emphasis on "character" in Star Trek and prefer a focus on "the plot" or "the mission".
Dude, you seriously don't get it do you? I know people say Star Trek is different things to different people or whatever, but I think most Star Trek fans will agree that two of the most important elements to great Star Trek are the characters and it's diversity. And if Trek ever got rid of either of those things I think I would stop watching and/or reading it.